In the last post I showed you how to setup your account in TFS hosted in the cloud using tfspreview known as TFS Service.
I saw many comments from users about the new TFS preview. Some of these users do not believe in the new TFS arguing “I cannot host my source code in Microsoft or codeplex environment since the information we have is critical”. This is a misconception that is common when it comes to the “cloud”. Especially there are a private and public cloud options. If you don’t want your source code out of your network firewall you could use a private cloud SAAS (check this article for more information about private cloud). Actually users must understand that any new process needs some time to start used to it and give this new tool a chance to prove itself. And TFS Preview offers a solution to many startups and independent developers who are looking for a Cloud Hosted TFS.
The first impression when i used TFS preview I get shocked!!! I didn’t expect this type of service, at that time I was not aware of Azure technology and cloud computing. Because the last few years I were using TFS in particular way and TFS 2010 was revolution in all aspects such as (Workflow builds, infrastructure, Lab management, Test manager, work items, SharePoint dashboards, project server integration and performance). I read more about Azure and SQL Azure and cloud computing then i gave myself sometime to discover TFS preview and read more about new the features. Trust me I found it much useful and more flexible, especially in these areas:
- Project management capabilities and improvement in ALM (Agile Project Management).
- Centralize the security administration.
- Team explorer improvements.
- Build improvements.
- Stakeholder Feedback
- Code Review Features.
- Continuous Integration.
- Version control improvements.
Now let’s go with a quick overview on TFS services.
- As I mention in my previous post if you want to connect to TFS preview contact me I will send you invitation code you can use it.
- Open visual studio 2011 developer preview.
- From team explorer connects to Team Foundation Server.
- Add new server; fill the server name (https://[NAME].tfspreivew.com).
- Here you are this is the new team explorer.
- The first thing I will create new team project.
- As you see it will open the browser to create new team project.
- Fill the name ,description and choose the process template. Currently in this version its not possible to customize process template.
- Click create project and wait to finish creating team project.
- After finish click Navigate to Project.
- Back to team explorer in the VS 2011 and select created ‘Demo’ team project.
- The new Team Explorer windows is the most expressive change in VS 2011 as first notice it’s like browser and the pending change moved to Team Explorer.
- Click to My Work, as you see below you have list of work items assigned to you and you can quickly do action like ( Finish, Suspend your current work item by move it out of your workspace and into a shelve set) this is cool right?
- This exactly the user experience, to make developer life easier 🙂
- Back to main page in Team Explorer and discover more features, check search team in the top I was part of TFPT now it is on you team explorer.
- Select settings option.
- You can manage Team Project or Team Project Collection. Most of the options will send you to web part of TFS.