Installation TFS 11 is the same in TFS 2010, it’s direct and easy for basic and advance architecture. In this post i will go throw step by step to install TFS 11 on windows server 8.
The beauty of installing TFS is it gives you a very good and understandable messages in case any error or the requirement is not completed even any performance issues in hardware specifications.
- OS: Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows server 2008 R2 (64),Windows server 2008 SP2 (64), windows Server 8.
Hardware: minimum 2.2 GHz processor, for basic installation 1 GM RAM, stander 2 GB RAM, with SharePoint 10 GB RAM and 8 GB hard disk space.
- Before install the TFS, you have to create new users for TFS services and reports accounts in AD domain controller, you have to have these account for this type of installation ( TFSSERVICE, and TFSREPORTS ) this is basic accounts, if you apply team build and SharePoint integration add theses accounts as well (TFSBUILDSERVICE, TFSSHAREPIONT).
- Check the IIS is enabled and working in same TFS machine, if not add it from roles in windows server.
- Validate SQL Server, reporting and analysis services is installed and working on the same machine or if it is in the other host make sure you have a access to that server and TFS account has admin permissions for SQL instance you will install TFS on.
- Download ISO image for TFS (VS11_BETA_TFS_ENU.iso) from here.
- Mount the ISO image and open the setup file.
- In the first screen choose to install Team Foundation Server
- From the left tab i will choose advance installation since i already install SQL Server 2012 CTP version and i want to apply reporting/analysis services. I will not choose to install SharePoint at this post because i don’t have 10 GB available RAM in this VM 🙂
- In the next screen add the SQL SERVER instance name, it is better to have both sql and TFS in same machine but it depend to your TFS architecture and how many users will access the TFS.
- Next step is to add the TFS service account name, and for authentication method choose NTLM.
- Next, keep the default values for TFS website name and ports or change it to a friendly name and click next.
- Next, if you check to install the reporting services you have to add the reporting service instance name, by default same sql server instance name and the installation wizard will populate the reporting services URL and the same for analysis services.
- Next, add the TFS reporting services account.
- Next page is to configure SharePoint, i will not check it as i mention above.
- Last screen is to create new team project collection, you can change the default name of the Collection.
- Next is to check if the system ready to install TFS, make sure all point is passed. and click configure.
- If the last screen show error in Application Tier as below, follow this post to solve it and return readiness checks again.
- Finally, TFs is installed on your machine and its ready to use.
Enjoy TFS 🙂